Home -> Nit -> Nit Srinagar
National Institute of Technology, Srinagar is one of the premier Educational Institutes in the Northern Regions of the country. It was established in 1960 and has been one of the eighteen Regional Engineering Colleges sponsored by the Govt. of India during the 2nd Plan. The Institute acquired the status of National Institute of Technology with deemed to be University status during August,2003 and attained full autonomy in its Academics.
The Institute is situated at the the banks of world-famous Dal Lake, with the far-famed Hazratbal Shrine on other side of the campus. NIT Srinagar is a residential Institute with accommodation facility in Hostels and Staff-Quarters. There are four Boys and one Girls hostel which swallops about 1500 boys and 200 girls. Besides running the B.Tech Programme the Institute also offers M.Tech programme in many streams.In addition to that a large number of students are registered for M.Phil and Ph.D Programmes.
Facilities and amenities are available at the institution such as NCC, NSS, Bank, Consumer cum Society, Shopping Complex, Recreational Centre, Dispensary with Ambulance, Guest House, Students Activity Centre, Gymnasium, Internet Centre, Telephone Booths, Fax Services, Diesel Generator, Bus Facility. The Institution has an Industry Interaction cell which was established in 1989 with the aim to remain at the fore-front on the Scientific and Technological development and to share its experience with industries in utilizing. Man-power and other resources are available at the institute effectively with the assistance of the participating industries. The Institute has one of the best technical library in J&K State. It has a collection of over 60,000 books on Engineering Science and humanities and about 6,000 bound volumes/Journals, both foreign and Indian. The library remains open from 9.00 a.m to 10.p.m. It has on -line repository of A.S.C.E, A.S.M.E.A.E.L, J.C.C.C etc in addition to journals through I.N.S.E.S, COMSORTIEM. It also has a collection of I.S.I codes, in the C.D-Rom format.
To establish a unique identity of NIT Srinagar by development of high quality technical manpower and technological resources for contributing to the economic and social development of the nation at large and region in particular.
The mission of NIT Srinagar is to train & transform its students and faculty into well trained and highly motivated engineers, scientists, technologists who become knowledge makers as well as knowledge users for contributing to nation building with high degree of professional excellence.
Contact Numbers of HODs / Officers
1. Head of the Departments:
1. Prof. M.A Lone Civil Engineering. 9419019381
2. Dr. Faisal Qayoum Chemical Engineering. 8803803559
3. Er. Muhammad Ahsan Chisti Computer Science & Engineering. 9419013039
4. Prof. Najeeb-ud-din Electronics & Communication Engineering 9796386602
5. Dr. Aijaz Ahmad. Electrical Engineering. 9419015843
6. Dr. G. A. Harmain Mechanical Engineering. 9419018804
7. Dr. D.M. Afzal Khan Metallurgical Engineering. 9419191635
8. Er. S.A. Sofi Information Technology Department. 9419009971
9. Prof. M.F. Wani Physics Department. 8803824243
10. Prof. M. Ahmad Humanities & Social Sciences Department. 99066537317
11 Dr. T. Jalaal Mathematics Department. 9419037264
12. Dr. S. A. Shah Chemistry Department. 9419590443
1. Prof. F. A. Mir Registrar 9906523922/ 01942421347
2. Mr. A. M. Bhat Deputy Registrar (Accounts) 9419968560
3. Mr. S. K. H. Hamdani Asstt. Registrar ( Printing & Stationery) 9797825065
4. Mr. M.M Shawl AR (Audit) 9419705798
5. Mr. M. A. Sidique Assistant Registrar (Academic) 9858783803
6. Mr. A. H. Khaki Assistant Registrar (Administration) 9906577756
7. Mr. Mir M. Ibrahim Assistant Registrar ( Direction Office) 9906577822
8. Mr. P.L Sapru P.A to Director. 9419143102
3. Other Sections
1. Prof M. F. Wani. Chairman ( Central Purchase Unit) 8803824243
2. Prof. A. Qayoum. Controller Of Examination. 9419016328
3. Dr. S.K Bukhari. I/C Director Physical Education. 9419025811
4. Dr. M. A. Bazaz. I/C Training & Placement. 8713812200
5. Mr. A. R. Dar. Librarian. 9419073015
6. Er. M. S. Wani. Estate Engineer. 9086999088
7. Er. P. A. Dar. Maintenance Engineer. 9419006957
8. Er. Syed. I. A. Qadri. Asst. Superintendent Workshop. 9796505041
9. Dr. Mehvish Afzal Khan. Medical Officer. 9797142002
10. Mr. Nazir Ahmad Hostel Manager 9906091267